The Best All-Natural Health and Beauty Tips for Your Vacation
All Natural living has gone from a trend to an entire subculture for individuals and families around the globe. Many vacationers will want to carry-on that lifestyle while they are away from home. Healthy eating, a chemical-free environment and natural beauty products are all very important to the "crunchy” crowd. Unfortunately, their daily habits will not merge well with hotel living, fast food eating and drug store shopping. While visiting Topsail Island and exploring the gorgeous beaches of eastern North Carolina, visitors can stay true to their lifestyle convictions with the easy tips detailed in the next few paragraphs.
Simple Hacks for a Happy & Healthy Vacation Home
- Bring your essential oil diffuser to help with sleep, relaxation and even air purification...or just to make it smell like home!
- Bring your own air purifier...or ask if your rental until already has one.
- Bring your own all-natural multi-purpose cleaner...and ask possible chemicals used during house-keeping.
- Open the window to let in Vitamin D and a fresh ocean breeze.
- Use outdoor space: BBQ grills, patio dining, rocking chairs!
- Bring your own pillow.
How to Keep Your Vacation Menu Whole & OrganicRental homes, on and off the beach, offer many amenities that you will not find at a hotel...one of which is a fully stocked kitchen. Having a functional kitchen will allow your family to keep plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables on hand. If "you are what you eat" is a true statement, you won't want your vacation weighted down by greasy and over-processed fast food. If your family is used to eating a fairly clean diet, and you typically keep eating out to a minimum...then why would would risk tummy aches during vacation? Here are a few tricks to enjoy delicious and fresh foods, even while away from home:
- Check on your rentals kitchen accommodations before arrival. Do they have a large stock pot or BBQ grill?
- Create a menu and shopping list ahead of time...but remember to be flexible...you are on vacation!
- Stop at a grocery store or local market to stock the refrigerator & pantry.
- Find a produce stand, and ask from local & seasonal selections...get inspired to try a new southern delicacy like "Fried Green Tomatoes".
- Bring staples from home if you are concerned about their availability on Topsail Island.
- Bring a cooler from home to keep healthy snacks available during your journey.
- Use your cooler for long days at the beach or exploring the island.
- Consider fresh fruit, cheese, crackers, sliced veggies, humus, egg salad, popcorn, etc. as summer snaking staples.
- Remember the money that you will be saving by preparing your own meals.
- Have a cooking contest...see who can make the best vacation meal.
- Water! Water! Water!!! Drink tons of water!!
- Buy or bring your own water bottles from home to refill...Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Easy Tips for Going Natural in the Bath and on the Body
- Organic Coconut Oil: For dry cracked heels, lather with coconut oil and slip on a pair of socks. For dry and frizzy hair, add a small amount to your conditioning routine. TIPS: 1) Coconut oil has a low melting point, so store accordingly. 2) If you don't like the smell of coconut, opt for REFINED Organic Coconut Oil.
- Lemon Juice: Want some natural high-lights without putting chemicals in your hair? Then use concentrated lemon juice. Just spritz onto hair and let the sun do the rest! TIP: Don't get it in your eyes!! It burns!
- Body Scrub: Making your own body scrub is very easy! Use 1 part coconut oil, 2 parts organic cane sugar, and a few drops of your choice of essential oils. Combine in bowl & store in air-tight container. Spoon out a small handful while in the shower, and use as a moisturizer and body polish...leaving your skin silky soft. TIPS: 1) The coconut oil can leave your shower floor slippery....be careful. 2) Add Vitamin E oil to your body scrub if you have it on hand. 3) Remember that citrus essential oils can cause increased skin sensitivity to the sun.
- All-Natural Deodorant: You probably already have a favorite all-natural deodorant that keeps you smelling as fresh as a daisy. But keep in mind that it is summer....so opt for an addition quick shower over chemical based products. TIPS: 1) Eating foods high in chlorophyll may help to reduce body odor. 2) A tiny pat of Lavender or Cedarwood essential oil to the underarm makes a quick and easy refreshening.
- Bug Spray: Try a quick and easy DIY bug repellant recipe.
DIY Ideas for All-Natural Skin Care in the Sun
- Sunscreen: There is a lot of debate over sunscreen...but why not try to make your own. If it doesn't work for you, you can always run to the drug store. And don't forget to REAPPLY!!
- Get out of the Sun: Find other ways to limit the amount of sun that you are exposed to daily, without sacrificing your outdoor & beach time. Wear a wide-brimmed hat, get under an umbrella, slip on a long sleeve & light weight shirt, and head indoors during the hottest part of the day (12pm-3pm...use that time to have lunch, go shopping, etc).
- After-Sun Lotion: Despite your best efforts, someone in your family may end up with a sunburn. Be prepared with some pure Aloe Gel, and an all-natural after-sun lotion.
- Water! Water! Water!!! One of the best things you can do for your skin is to stay hydrated by drinking PLENTY of water!